Thursday 13 April 2017

Deep space card with glow in the dark stars, with video


I got the Wow! embossing powder from Debbie V., I couldn't find it in the NL so it's come all the way from the USA. Thanks again Debbie, I much appreciate it.
I suppose I could have ordered it from the Wow! website in the UK, but that's a very dangerous place with glorious embossing powders and glitters and stamps and such...:-D

Anyway for the card I started by die cutting a slightly tilted five pointed star out of my cardpanel. I used the multi frames from Nellie Snellen, but any shape or brand will do of course.
I then stamped the sentiment from My Favorite Things (space explorer) with Vesafine onyx black ink and heat set it to be safe.

I traced the opening on the cardbase and used one of my Distress recipes for the space.
As I look up the sky at night space gets darker the further up you look, so I tried to emulate that with black soot, chipped sapphire, blue print sketch and salty ocean. A recipe I conjured up for a Halloweeny night, but works all year round of course.

I heat set the inkblending and tested it with some of the embossing powder.
I also used a powder tool to de-stick the paper. I then stamped the tiny stars from Hero arts with Versamark ink. Sprinkled on the Wow! glow in the dark powder and heat set it.
I hadn't swatched it out yet, like I usually do, so this is where I found out the embossing powder is transparent-ish. also it needs to charge in the sun/daylight so it wasn't yet glowing in the dark.

I mounted the panel with foam tape and adhered it to the cardbase.
I used digital copy paper, or laser copy paper which is thinly coated and super smooth and at 140lbs also sturdy, but inkblending is good on this paper, it just hates water and masking tape unless it's Post- it tape.


If you have trouble inkblending go to your local copy shop, like Kinko, and ask if you can buy this kind of paper. It's also sold for Copic/Spectrum Noir markers, and it does work, somewhat, not as good as the ultra smooth Neenah classic crest solar white paper, Crafter's Companion sells in packages of 20 sheets, that's whole mouth full, but it's the paper I used to stamp the little fellow on with Simon Says Stamp intense black. I let the Scan N cut cut him out and chose a 2mm border, which was wider than I thought , I now choose 1 mm, but it was my first cut ;-).

I used the Spectrum Noir and Illustrator to color my image and on the balloons I used the Nuvo glitter pens.
Mounted the space guy in the middle with foam tape to level him up with the card panel and also I used tape runner where it sits flush with the panel. Tucked him in and out the star for a fun detail, like he's flying out of the star shaped window.

You can find the Distress ink recipes on my blog, here or on Pinterest.

I made this for the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge, a color inspiration chart and showcasing Lawn Fawn.
Now Lawn Fawn has a similar space set, I don't have it though and as I have this one I'm not getting it either, sorry. But I think you can make this with any brand of course.
I didn't use the yellow/mustard on the chart, and my colors are a bit darker I think, but same hues, coral pink, green and blue.
I really hope the card will glow in the dark tonight, then I will have the yellow/mustard too ;-)

For more information on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge, see this.



1 comment: