Sunday 29 October 2017

AAA cards Challenge #102: inkblending with Memento dew drops

This fortnight the challenge over as AAA cards is: inkblending.


Our sponsor this time is Stamplorations, and the prize is a giftcertificate of $15 + 10% coupon offer for players.

For my card I used Memento dew drops to do my inkblending. I know not many people do this, so I wanted to show how wonderfully they blend and even out when drying. Smooth blend, the easy way. Still an arm workout, but easier ;-)

I started my card by stamping the sentiment from CAS-ual Fridays (lovely snowflake) with Versafine onyx black ink. Heat set it to be sure.

The I used  Sticky notes to mask off an area on my card, big enough for the deer, but as small as possible so to leave ample white space. Also I love the trees are sticking out of the area.

On hindsight these sticky notes weren't the best idea, apparently they're not entirely water repellent and some of the ink seeped through , I covered one splotch with the tall tree, but I have to leave the others, or diecut more trees.

These dies I've had for ages and I'm not sure which brand they are anymore, sorry, any you have will do the job as well. I cut them from black cardstock.

For the inkblending I used Memento Nautical blue, Teal zeal and Summer sky. I usually just look in my book which colors I think will work together. I made  Memento "recipes" too, like with the Distress inks.

As normal I used my mini inkblending tools and applies the darkest inks first. There's quite a leap in saturation from teal zeal to summer sky, but by going over it with a real light hand of teal zeal you kind of match it all up.

As with Distress inks, these react to water as well and so I splattered some on the area, leaving the masks in place. Then I splattered Dylusions white linen and Distress spray Brushed pewter for my snowflakes. To finish the snowfall I also splattered some Talens ecoline (100-white) this is much more opaque than the Dylusions spray, which turned a light blue as it reactivated the inks below. All these layers will give a lot of depth to the scene as the lighter splatter will look further away and the silver is just for shine as it's a Christmas card.

Removing the masks to reveal your little scene is kind of magical...until you see the splotches lol.

Attached the diecuts with liquid glue. I used the border to ground them and I pretend the white is a snowbank.

For more information or to play along the AAA cards challenge, see this

I'm also entering it into the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge: anything goes


7 comments:

  1. Oh how I love this card Maaike. And the memento inks looks superb, maybe we're all just too caught up with the distress oxide inks now and forget we have perfectly good alternatives already in our stash. Great post and fantastic card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maaike, love the silhouettes on the perfectly blended background. - Sweet Kobylkin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE this card Maaike! I think it may even be my favourite one by you that I have seen (so far!) Fabulous use of ink blending - what a gorgeous scene you created. And thanks for you blending recipes - so very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card is just awesome! I really love the CAS style and I think it's a perfect Christmas card!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a very lovely card...thanks for the tip on the blendability of memento ink. I will make this card.....thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really lovely card, the design is gorgeous and love your blending.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge x

    ReplyDelete